Tuesday 11 December 2012

Kingston

This year, I'm leaving biscuits and milk out for Santa - and those biscuits will be Kingston biscuits. Here's why...

The Kingston biscuit is one of the top shelf cream biscuits that Arnotts offers. A Kingston biscuit comprises of smooth chocolate cream sandwhiched by two oat/coconut biscuits. I'm not a huge fan of coconut biscuits by themselves, but this is just the right combination.

We've had some discusssion this morning around the office about dunking cream biscuits. The real question is whether or not they are dunk stable after 3-4 seconds of immersion in your preferred beverage. I was a little unsure of the whole cream + milk/tea idea because generally speaking, cream biscuits tend to be super crumbly, and I'm not personally a big fan of having to stare at a trail of crumbles after finishing a drink. Any veteran Cookie Time cookie dunker would definitely empathise with this.



When I picked up the packet at the well appointed city Countdown, I noticed it was already crumbling inside. This isn't particularly good for durability marks so I figured these Kingstons wouldn't be particularly sturdy. This was confirmed upon opening the packet - I was immediately confronted with crumbs. These aren't like your bog standard wine biscuits - definitely get ready for a much messier affair. However the actual biscuit itself is quite solid - turns out it's only the sides that crumble.

Dunk-Stable!

Dunkability is where this biscuit fared much better than I imagined. I made a nice hot mug of milo for this one, to compliment the chocolate cream, which tasted a little too sweet and a tad artificial, which was expected because I've never been particularly impressed by Arnott's chocolate. However, the biscuit proved completely dunk stable, as the cream slowly melted and held the crumbs inside the biscuit in place. In fact, the cream was so solid that I had trouble splitting the biscuit in half for the photo;



Solid

These biscuits are excellent when it comes to dunking. Even without dunking, you can pick up a hint of coconut, and a strong suggestion of golden syrup. Overall a very delicious biscuit and a real treat to be enjoyed only occassionally. I can't imagine eating these daily.


Durability: 5/10
Dunkability: 9/10
Crumbliness: 9/10
Flavour: 9/10
Price: These were on special at Countdown for $2.99. They are usually $3.49 - There are about 15 biscuits per packet and they are not so big, but they are substantial. I would give it about a 6/10 - don't let this put you off, the biscuits are an occssional treat, and are to be savoured.

Total: 38/50, Crumbly but Dunk-Stable

No comments:

Post a Comment