Tuesday 18 December 2012

Choc Thins

One is never enough, says the packet, and it's true. One choc thin is never really enough. Is it because they are so thin? - Probably one of the contributing reasons, yes, but let's have a closer look as to why they are so good.

If I was tasked to find one word that described the choc thin, it would probably be "reliable" - it's that biscuit that always happens to be in the pantry when you need it the most. The choc thin, once again continuing the theme of this blog, seems to be one of the better dunking biscuits out there, and there are so many different ways to actually dunk the thing. More on that later.

The NBR prefers Griffins choc thin biscuits, but I have to make an admission. The other day, a few friends and I went to Lake Wainamu for a swim and a picnic. Before this, I went to the local Countdown and had a search for food to bring. Apart from the standard cold meats and crackers, I stumbled across a great deal for Signature Range (gasp) Choc Thins, being inquisitive, I decided to take the $2.30 plunge and go for it. Turns out, these thins tasted nearly exactly the same - I found the biscuit to be a bit wheatier than what the smooth malt that Griffins uses for their biscuits, but perhaps the wheatiness was an illusion caused by the lesser quality brand. One major difference though was that these Choc "Thins" weren't exactly very "thin" at all.



I think one of the major selling points to these choc thins is the fact that it feels a lot like not eating anything at all, because the biscuits are so thin. But the downside to this is that I can personally eat half a packet in the space of about half an hour. Ridiculous. I always found the name to be quite the opposite of the person eating the biscuits, because after half a packet of these chocolate loaded treats, you'd hardly be "thin" at all.


Griffins chocolate tastes quite good. Biscuit chocolate is almost always disappointing, but I think when combined with the smooth malty biscuit, you can forget the quality of chocolate quite easily. Even more so if you dunk - which brings me to the next thing about Choc Thins. So so so dunkable! I was also turned on to an idea by a colleague - the double choc thin - in which you slam two together and dunk at the same time. The chocolate melts so perfectly. Delicious.

So onto the verdict

Durability: 6/10
Dunkability: 10/10
Crumbliness: 3/10
Flavour: 9/10
Price: You get so many biscuits in one packet, but beacuse they're so thin, and because double dunking tastes so good, I would say you actually don't get too many biscuits at all, and what you see is grossly overstated. 6/10

Total: 34/50 Remarkably dunkable

No comments:

Post a Comment